The automotive world was shocked last summer when Robert L. Nardelli was named chairman and chief executive officer of the newly “de-merged” Chrysler. Nardelli, who brought a broad, but not automotive, managerial background to the post, will be the International Motor Press Association keynote speaker during the March 19 breakfast which kicks off media-preview events for the 2008 New York International Automobile Show.
Details of the breakfast, presented by the Greater New York Automobile Dealers Association, sponsors of the show, will be provided next year.
Chrysler’s biography of Nardelli:
Robert L. Nardelli joined Chrysler LLC in August 2007 as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer and as a member of the Board of Directors, Chrysler LLC.
Prior to joining Chrysler, Nardelli served as Chairman, President and CEO of The Home Depot beginning in 2000. Nardelli began his career at GE in 1971, and advanced through a series of leadership positions in the company’s Appliances, Lighting and Transportation Systems business units. In 1988, he left GE to join Case Corporation in Racine, Wis., where he led Case Construction Equipment’s global business. He returned to GE in 1992 and was ultimately named President and CEO of GE Power Systems and Senior Vice President of General Electric.
His work and academic background includes:
- Chairman and Chief Executive Officer and member of the Board of Directors, Chrysler LLC, August 2007
- Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Home Depot, 2000
- President and CEO, GE Power Systems, Senior Vice President, General Electric, 1995
- President and CEO, GE Transportation Systems, 1992
- Executive Vice President and Chief Executive Officer, Canadian Appliance Manufacturing, (subsidiary of GE), 1991
- Executive Vice President and General Manager, Case Construction Equipment, 1988
- Manufacturing Engineer, various management positions at General Electric Appliances, GE Lighting, and GE Transportation Systems, 1971
- Master of Business Administration, University of Louisville, 1975
- Bachelor of Science, Western Illinois University, 1971
He chairs the Atlanta Board of Visitors of the Savannah College of Art and Design, and has also served on President Bush’s Council on Service and Civic Participation. He has received the Distinguished Pennsylvanian Award from Gannon University (1995) and the Distinguished Alumni Award from the College of Business and Technology at Western Illinois University (1997 and 1999). He is an alumni fellow and 2001 Alumnus of the Year of the University of Louisville, and serves on the Board of Advisors, University of Louisville Graduate School of Business, as well as on the College of Business & Technology Advisory Board for Western Illinois University, and is a member of The Business Council.
Nardelli was born on May 17, 1948, in Old Forge, Pennsylvania.